Saturday, January 13, 2007

Background

Before diving into personal accounts and advice/criticism for my readers, I feel some seemingly tedious, but necessary background information must be established before I continue.

I guess I should begin by explaining the college football recruiting process. It traditionally commences with the ending of your junior season. You do what I like to call the b.s. work. Actually, it's all b.s. work because that's the name of the game. But more on all of this to come. You get a highlight tape of yourself together and then send it out to the prospective colleges you hope to play for. I thought sure, why not send a few out. If this can get me into some ivy league-esque school I could play football for four more years. Highlight tape goes out and then this is where all the "shooting of the breeze" takes place. Coach A tells you his school is the best and you have the "whole package" here. Coach B tells you that they are ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the 5th _____ school. Frankly I think none of this crap matters. What it comes down to is players, most, have a general idea of the caliber of school at which they want to play. They've done enough research on their own to understand what they are up against academically. What it comes down to is finding out from the coaches where they will bend over for you in admissions to get you in the door of a Notre Dame or Duke or Wash U.

Its also has a lot to do with you you know, your h.s. coach knows, and how well you and your parents can play the game of b.s.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you havent said anything groundbreaking about the college recruitment process.